24 Fascinating Facts About The World's Most Famous Conjoined Twins Abby & Brittany Hensel
There are stories in this world worth hearing, and the story of conjoined twins, Abby & Brittany is definitely one of them. These two amazingly brave conjoined twins don't let rare and challenging circumstances prevent them from living their lives and finding happiness and joy.
Here is everything you wish to know about the interesting life of world's most famous conjoined twins. We have gathered 24 interesting facts that many wish to know about Abby & Brittany.
1. The two share a single body but their internal organs are actually split. Both Abby and Brittany have a separate set of heart, lungs, liver, spine, and kidneys.
While many people assume that the two shares two heads under one body, under the single torso there is the anatomy of two bodies.
2. Each twin has a separate nerve system and controls one half of their body (one arm, one leg etc).
This also means the two could not share a feeling. Even if you touched them in the middle part, only one would be able to feel it.
3. They had to learn how to sync the coordination on how to crawl, walk, write drive and many other everyday actions.
Just imagine how challenging it is to operate a single body when you can only control just one half.
4. Their doctors were amazed to see how fast these two girls learned how to move in sync. The two were able to walk freely years before the doctors predictions.
While the specialists assumed it would take them few years to learn how to walk, amazingly, the two managed to do it in no time.
5. The twins walk in a different way from one another. For example, Brittany tends to walk on her tip-toes while Abby walks more steadily.
This did not change the fact that while both walk in different methods, they are still able to walk in sync.
6. The twins parents were quick to dismiss the idea of surgery to separate the girls as they understood from the doctors that it would be unlikely for them to survive it.
Their parents chose two living conjoined daughters instead of two separate dead ones.
The decision must have been difficult for the parents but the twins claim they are glad that this was the final decision.
7. As the girls grew older, the parents grew more content with their decision to not go with the surgery.
The girls proved how happy they can be, together as conjoined twins, the more the twins grew up, the more they sought to live a normal life.
8. At 16 years old, they agreed for TLC to enter their home and film a documentary about their life as conjoined twins. Later, they got their own TV show out!
The documentary was an instant hit. Everybody suddenly discovered the story of these amazing sisters, and the demand for more gave birth to their own TV show on the same network.
9. Accompanying one another, they were running, swimming driving their car and riding a bicycle! They can even type on the keyboard in complete coordination with one another.
Just think about how amazing it is for you to type on a keyboard with another person in charge of the other hand. The two separate the letters so when one letter is on the right side, only the right hand is being used and the same goes on the left hand.
10. In order for the twins to have a drivers license, they had to pass the test two times.
To be able to drive, the twins had to take their driving test done twice. One for Abby, and one for Brittany. All while one controls the left side of the driver's seat and the other drives the right.
11. Although they are twins who share 100% the same DNA, their personalities are quite different.
Since both of them have a different personality from the other, they found a way to express that through their clothes. They have a seamstress who sews them a different neckline to flaunt their individuality.
12. Brittany has a passion for writing and Abby's passion is for math.
The two can sit with two sheets of paper who could not be further apart. On one side you can see Abby solving a math problem, on the left side you will see Brittany writing a poem.
13. The girls attended Bethel University, successfully majored in the field of education and finally graduated in 2012.
14. Both Abby and Brittany wish to find love and settle down.
The girls told the Discovery Channel that they hope to someday date, get married and have children. They are aware of the difficulty of their situation, but they believe that love works in strange ways.
15. The two claim that they hate it when people start to stare at them in the street, some even try to take pictures.
They say that they don't mind being conjoined twins as much as they mind people staring at them in public and sometimes taking pictures without their permission or knowledge.
17. At the age of 6, they already appeared on the Oprah Winfrey show.
Their appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show was actually the first time the conjoined twins were exposed to such a large audience. Their appearance on the show was also the reason why TLC knew about the two in the first place.
18. As kids, the two loved creating dance routines and perform to their family.
How cute is that?
19. They share many hobbies including playing musical instruments, playing volleyball and going bowling.
Unlike what many people think, the two are pretty athletic considering their situation.
20. On their birthday, they both get two separate birthday cakes to emphasize their individuality.
21. Even though they are conjoined, one might stay healthy while the other one is sick. Brittany had suffered two times from pneumonia all while Abby didn't get it once
22. Do they pay for one movie ticket or two when going to the theater? The answer is two tickets.
You could argue that because they share the seat they should only pay for one, but this was the decision of their local theater.
23. Even though their coordination is out of this world, it can get tiring at times. One twin would want to have a nap while the other feels very much awake.
24. Currently the girls are working as primary school teachers mainly teaching math.They very much like to be teaching together. They joke that "one can be teaching and the one can be monitoring and answering questions".
This High School Student Was Told To Cover Herself Up So "Going Bra-less" Protest Started In Her School
This Little 5 Year Old Kid Had Horns Added Under His Skin To Cover Up His Birthmark And It's Not What You Think